NODBC with Nav 4.0 and hotfixed
aes
2006-03-10 15:02:55 UTC
We are running Navision 4.0 with a hotfix to fix some group access problems
(Microsoft Knowledge Base article number(s) 891518).

Recently we have been trying to get NODBC (from Nav 4.0 install disks) to
work using Excel to import the data and we keep getting the following error:

Microsoft Query
The server and client do not have the same program version number.
Database Error: 1111
Drivers' SQLSetConnectAttr failed

I have applied the above mentioned hotfix to the NODBC directories as per
the instructions and we have double checked the options on the ODBC
connection.

If I try to run Nav 4.0 SP1 NODBC (without upgrading the client or server to
SP1), the error goes away, but the query aborts once the query starts. This
to me is expected since running mixed versions of SP1 and non SP1 is likely
not proper.

Also if I install al local database on my client computer and set the NODBC
with hotfix to access this data it works fine.

So from my experiments it looks like the hotfix has somehow broken the NODBC
access in a client server setup. Moving to SP1 all around is a possibility
but it is also a fair amount of work since our Navision setup has a fair
amount of customization in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
John Collins
2006-03-11 06:03:14 UTC
You do not have to upgrade your Navision objects, you can just upgrade your
executables and convert the database.
So you would be running 4.0 SP1 with 4.0 objects and all your
customizations. All it takes is to uninstall your clients and installing 4.0
SP1 on your workstations. The first time you open your current database with
a 4.0 SP1 it will ask if you want to convert, answer yes and your database
is not converted.
At the same time you should upgrade SP1 with the new hotfix for SP1 as
you're already on the workstation upgrading the clients.

John

aes
2006-03-15 14:23:34 UTC
Thanks for the response. I am not sure I understand this part. Answer
"yes" and the database is "not" converted?

Al
John Collins
2006-03-23 16:52:56 UTC
I'm sorry it should have said "answer yes and the database is now
converted..."
Sorry about that.

John
Marlin Parisien[MSFT]
2006-03-21 22:33:26 UTC
Hello,

First I would like appologize for the delayed response and assure you that
we will be responding in a more timely manner.

I understand that you are having some NODBC issues when using Excel to
import data. Is this correct?

You're last question regarding the possibility of upgrading to Navision 4.0
SP1 would be wise since there had been initial issues with the Nav 4.0
NODBC driver which was fixed in SP1. Mr. Collins response in regards to
upgrading your executables and convert the database is correct. This would
be considered a technical upgrade and as he mentioned, you will not have to
upgrade your objects or customizations.

So as Mr. Collins mentioned, you should do the technical upgrade and if you
want to get current you can also apply the current update to SP1. You will
have to create a case with support in order to get the update for SP1.

I hope this is helpful and we look forward to hearing from you!

Have a great day!

Regards,

Marlin Parisien

Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

aes
2006-03-23 16:17:09 UTC
Thank you for your reply.

I have heard that in some cases Nav 4.0 SP1 will keep asking for the
database to be converted again after doing the update to SP1 as suggested
below and also there might be some menu issues with the new SP.

Is there any way to tell if this is going to be a problem for us?

We have SP1 already as part of our maintenance agreement so this is not an
issue.

Thanks again
Marlin Parisien[MSFT]
2006-03-31 14:43:46 UTC
Hi,

You are correct in stating that there have been cases where Navision 4.01
will keep asking for the database to be converted again after doing once
already as stated in KB 911654.

There is a hotfix that has remedied this issue and is included in Update 1
for SP1 and if you want the update you will have to create a case with
support.

Keep in mind charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be
canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific
update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to
additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the
specific update in question.

I hope this helps with your question and let me know if you require further
assistance.

vmon
2006-04-19 17:02:01 UTC
I have Navision 4.01 on the server and have installed the 4.01 client but I
am getting the error that indicate the server and client are different
version. Is there a seperate install for NODBC for v4.01?

Thanks,
John
vmon
Marlin Parisien[MSFT]
2006-05-11 14:18:26 UTC
Hi John!

Your issue with stating that the server and the client are different
versions. What is the version number on the server, you can go to the
server folder and right-click on the server.exe file and go to properties
and check the version tab. You should also check the version number on the
client as well (fin.exe).

To answer your question, yes there is a newer NODBC for NAV 4.01 and it can
be found on the SP1 cd. Just to let you know that you wouldn't be getting
the different version error due to the NODBC.

I also want to address the link you sent for kb891518, this kb addresses
the issue with NAV 4.0 straight from the box. SP1 and the update for 4.0
had resolved the issue listed in that knowledge base article.

I hope this answers your questions and I'm sorry for the delay on my
response.

Hope you have a great day!

Margaret Walker[MSFT]
2006-05-31 21:46:44 UTC
Hello

I am following up to see how things are going. If I do not hear back from
you in a few days I will proceed to close this post.

Thanks and have a great day!

Regards,

Maggie Walker